Cables

Quesiti tecnici riguardanti l'Ape anni '50, '60 e '70 (telai A, B, C, D, E, MP) / Technical questions about Ape in the fifties, sixties and seventies (A, B, C, D, E, MP chassis).
Rispondi
MalBruen
Apista apprendista
Apista apprendista
Ape owned: AD1

Cables

Messaggio da MalBruen »

Hi All
To complete my restoration of the AD! I need information on the relevant part numbers for the folloeing
Handbrake Cable
Clutch Cable
Throttle Cable
Gear Change Cables
Are they still available to purchase , or do I have to make them
Many Thanks
Mal
olandese volante
Apista veterano
Apista veterano
Ape owned: AC3

Re: Cables

Messaggio da olandese volante »

making your own is better and cheaper ...........make some spares to carry as spare ;)
MalBruen
Apista apprendista
Apista apprendista

Messaggio da MalBruen »

Hi
Would you know the lengths of these cables as I do not have any originals to measure
Many Thanks
Mal
olandese volante
Apista veterano
Apista veterano
Ape owned: AC3

Messaggio da olandese volante »

the way to go is to get some standard stuff, the outer cable can be bought from roll from the better bicycleshops or motorcycle shops , so measure very roughly what length you need get some more and put in the outer cable when its lying ok cut to length and put on the end caps .
the outside cable should be of the "brake type" ( there are two types of cable and you want the right one!)
of course there are some things to be looked at when doing all this : when cutting the ends use the right plyers so its straight. (other wise your cables wont last long ....)
when measuring check for "moving length"
the inside cables are easiest when they already have the end part that is ok for the handebar side so that all you have to do is get a screw on part for the other side .( i prefer soldering)

my guess iis that the guy where you get the cable will explain better ( he has the cable at hand and might tell you to mark it and he will cut it) prices vary but usually a cable wont cost you an arm or leg.
i have a box full but sending them costs more than buying them!
baldo
Apista aspirante
Ape owned: Other

Messaggio da baldo »

As well as Olandese says,the cables and covers are easy to get, you need these cables.
Immagine
gas.
Immagine
brakes and clutch
Immagine
this is the cable sheath, as u can see, there is another sleeve inside it.
this is the one i normally used.(I believe that olandese refers to this case)
good look.
ruebix
Apista aspirante

Messaggio da ruebix »

Hello,
I almost have bought all my cables from Peter Erhorn (http://www.vespa-oldtimerteile.de). The most standard cabel fit or were reduced only slightly. Only the hand brake cable coming from the role, cable and shells. The length of the shells I have determined through trial and error. The cable is about 3.5 m long, I think.
For Joke I've taken the long MP Joke and cutted it.
All you need is a good pair of pliers and the corresponding sleeves and endpeaces.

much success.
Rispondi