Cylinder head gasket

Quesiti tecnici riguardanti l'Ape anni '50, '60 e '70 (telai A, B, C, D, E, MP) / Technical questions about Ape in the fifties, sixties and seventies (A, B, C, D, E, MP chassis).
littlegreen
Apista aspirante
Ape owned: MPV1

Cylinder head gasket

Messaggio da littlegreen »

Hello, I am from the UK and have just bought a Vespacar p601v. The piaggio doesn't have a cylinder head so i have bought this one from sip-scooters http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_14000850. My question is? Do you know if their is a gasket between the cylinder and the cylinder top hat? (where the spark plug goes). As I can see a grove around the top and seems to be space for one to fit.

Thank you
Ultima modifica di littlegreen il 11 novembre 2014, 12:10, modificato 1 volta in totale.
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Ape owned: MPR2
Contatta:

Re: Cylinder head gasket

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

no gasket - relies on the small groove in the cylinder head that has a breather hole in it. Properly torqued it doesn't need a gasket and if you did put one in it would reduce compression. With the Polini kit you will have carburetor issues - jet size - Ken
T l .jpg
cyl head base-air tube hole.jpeg
we buy/restore/sell P501 and P601s and parts/manuals/handbooks
http://www.kjjohnson.ca/
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

Thank you Ken! I was going a little mad trying to find a none existent o ring to fit the top hat! I have bought a standard carb for the p601, I know it will need upjetting but do you have any idea what size i would need? or do you recommend buying another carb? or should i just buy an original 190cc head?

thanks for all the help
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Contatta:

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

The P601 was made with a 190cc engine without the separate lubrication device and then production shifted to the 220cc motor with a different carburetor to help with the increase in displacement. If yours is the 220cc model you'll be close but it's the main jet size - found in the brass locking nut on the base of the fuel bowl.
Typically it starves for fuel with disastrous results and those who sell these kits rarely tell the buyer about this issue.
I need to know what you have, photos help. I will then introduce you to Aniello Liguori who can give you the correct jet size - Ken
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

Unfortunately when we bought the 601 we didn't have either the cylinder or carb, so not sure what was in it. I do have the engine number and chassis if this would help?
I will not quote the full numbers just in case.
MPMM13** engine
MPV1T229** chassis
DGM 72**OM

The carb i have purchased is this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310112999531? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Again thanks for the help
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

Just used your website, to look up the chassis number it is a 1979 p601v 190cc engine. Will the carb i order be correct?

By the way your website is a fantastic resource!
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Contatta:

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

SHB 22/17 is the correct carburetor for the 220cc model P601 so it should do for the Polini kit 225cc that you've purchased. You may have to use a slightly richer setting on the mixture screw and be very careful to properly do a 'running-in' or you'll have troubles - 'easy does it'.
What condition is the piston and rings? It should have a 16mm wrist pin, the 220cc motor has an 18mm wrist pin so you must check the Polini kit - bet you bought the one with the 18mm wrist pin and it won't fit unfortunately. Wish you had found my website earlier - send me an email - Ken (if you ordered the kit with 18mm wrist or (gudgeon in UK) pin ask if you can return it for the one with the 16mm wrist pin but first check the side of the one in your Ape because I can't see from over here)
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

I would have preferred to order all the parts i needed from one place, I will start to use your site for the rest of the bits! Do you know roughly shipping costs to the UK?

I measured the gudegon pin at 23mm but will remeasure and check.
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

It seems to be a 23mm pin? Do you or could you take a picture of the peddles from inside the cab and underneath. Mine has a new floor and I don't know how and where to mount the peddles and where to cut the holes.

Any help would be great
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Contatta:

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

016.jpg
16mm or 20mm gudgeon pin - look on the Scootershop link, they give the sizes. 16mm gudgeon pin was used on the 190cc motor.

I have a burned 601V, will take some photos of the pedal box and can give you measurements in a day or so. - Ken
DSC07805.JPG
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

Thanks Ken any pictures would be great!

The gudgeon is definitely a 23mm, the bearing turned up from Italy and fits perfect. Did they use different sizes?
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Contatta:

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

I'm working in the dark - get out your camera and take photos so I can see The Ape race cylinder is available in 3 different models, whether with 16mm or 18mm gudgeon pins, as well as the Ape TM version with additional head gasket.

Conclusion: Dependable like the original cylinder, more capacity, noticeably better performance and very important, noticeably more torque. The ideal POLINI upgrade for the 200er Ape. Racing Cylinder POLINI 225cc
for PIAGGIO Ape 601V-CAR P2
-P501
Ø 69,0mm, cast iron 6 ports,
2 piston ring(s),pin 18mm,
w/o cylinder head

FOR RACE USE ONLY From the Scootershop advert for the Polini kit

Perhaps you've purchased the kit for the Ape TM. Now measure the gudgeon pin on your existing piston and tell me if it's a 16mm or 18mm. Whatever you buy must fit the existing piston connecting rod and needle bearing. A larger gudgeon pin won't fit.
littlegreen
Apista aspirante

Had a go last night fitting up the cylinder head, everything fits perfectly and is all built up nicely! Next phase is getting the carb all built up with cables and controls ready to start her up.

If you don't mind taking some pictures of the pedals from above and below that would be a great help! Also do people use the original air boxes which seem hard to find or as i have a 225cc head would a K&N style filter be better?

Thanks again, i cant wait to see another ape on the road! (not that many in the UK as there is!)
Allegati
2014-10-26 14.22.35.png
2014-10-26 14.22.40.png
2014-10-26 14.22.43.png
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Contatta:

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

a better photo - Ken -