Paraoli APE A1D

Quesiti tecnici riguardanti l'Ape anni '50, '60 e '70 (telai A, B, C, D, E, MP) / Technical questions about Ape in the fifties, sixties and seventies (A, B, C, D, E, MP chassis).
Rispondi
Antonin
Apista aspirante
Ape owned: AD1

Paraoli APE A1D

Messaggio da Antonin »

Hi All,
I have just registered to the APE forum.
Repairing an old APE I have disassembled and cleaned all the bike including motor.
When assembling I face a special matter.
Il cuscinetto lato volano è schermato da due paraoli e quindi non riceve lubrificazione dalla miscela.
Even though I don't speak italian, I found the same topic:
"Paraoli ape 400r motore ae3m" by Kalimero from 5 August 2021.
Anelo interno tenuta olio = simmerring = gufero
Why is the left bearing sealed from both sides? How is it lubricated?
The answers to Kalimero are also very special: nobody knows.
My motor survived 50 years of operation, it has never been disassembled and there were no problems with this bearing.
The system with two sealings was functional, there was no claim, that the crankshaft seized.
Not 6 years as in the Kalimero´s topic mentioned.

Please, is anybody here, who knows the right solution?
Is there a special recommended lubrication which survives 50 years?

Thanks for your answers.
MarioNYC
Apista esperto
Apista esperto

Re: Paraoli APE A1D

Messaggio da MarioNYC »

I haven't had the opportunity yet to tear my Ape apart - I have a similar model.

Have you tried also some other sources, like YouTube? I know there is a pretty smart German kid that does all sorts of things with many different Ape.

I wish they were more available here in the US, and now the new trend is to convert them to a coffee or wine bar, the Ape with the built out back are going for many tens of thousands of dollars to people who know nothing about them.

I need just wait until they sell them...
Antonin
Apista aspirante

Re: Paraoli APE A1D

Messaggio da Antonin »

Hi Mario,
nice to hear that there is another crazy fool, not only me in Czechia.
If I see how complicated is to get some spare parts here in Europe, it must be much worse in the US.
I found a guy in Weissenburg in Germany who has a barn full of old stuff.
And youtube - the German guy is Toni Alessandro whom I met once in Weissenburg. But now it looks that he evaporated - nobody
is able to get a contact with him.
However in Germany, there are many groups of APE funs. This vehicle is popular there.
Rispondi