6v to 12v conversion

Quesiti tecnici riguardanti l'Ape anni '50, '60 e '70 (telai A, B, C, D, E, MP) / Technical questions about Ape in the fifties, sixties and seventies (A, B, C, D, E, MP chassis).
Rispondi
MalBruen
Apista apprendista
Apista apprendista
Ape owned: AD1

6v to 12v conversion

Messaggio da MalBruen »

Hello All
I have a 1966 AD1T currently running on a 6v system and I was enquiring if anyone has ever converted one to a 12v system if so how and what would I need to change mine over
Many Thanks
Mal
MarioNYC
Apista esperto
Apista esperto

Re: 6v to 12v conversion

Messaggio da MarioNYC »

You have the stator and flywheel, right? Not the generator? I haven't breached that one yet, believe it to be in the coils on the stator.

Mine has the generator (dinamo) and it is a 6v Bosch just like my old Volkswagen, so switching it over is easier, only hardship will be the windscreen wiper and the starter.
MalBruen
Apista apprendista
Apista apprendista

Messaggio da MalBruen »

Hi
That is correct I have the flywheel and stator version I did see a similar ape for sale on eBay and it looked like it had been converted
Mal
MarioNYC
Apista esperto
Apista esperto

Messaggio da MarioNYC »

First, why do you want to change up the voltage? Am I right to assume you have no battery?

If after you sorted out your grounding issues, wiring, and the lights are all working, albeit dimly, you may look to getting your flywheel magnetized.
MalBruen
Apista apprendista
Apista apprendista

Messaggio da MalBruen »

Hi
I do have a battery on the vehicle and I wanted the headlights to be brighter at the moment when on the headlight is like a candle the sidelights are fine but the headlight is very dim, do I have a problem elsewhere?
Thanks
MarioNYC
Apista esperto
Apista esperto

Messaggio da MarioNYC »

Is the bulb a 6v bulb? Have you got a 6v halogen you could swap it out with?

Something in your headlight circuit is making things dim, and they'd do the same at 12v if the problem isn't found.
MalBruen
Apista apprendista
Apista apprendista

Messaggio da MalBruen »

I have a standard 6V bulb so I could try a halogen one and see if there is any difference
I am led to believe that the headlight system runs on an AC system and the side lights etc run off the battery
Thanks
MarioNYC
Apista esperto
Apista esperto

Messaggio da MarioNYC »

Seeing what info I got off the scooters, first with the grounds, then the bulb, the regulator, but most importantly the flywheel, as that's where your power derives. You are luckier in the UK, as there are more shops there that could do the work, just this August we lost a mate who moved over there to work for a shop. I find myself stumped when I have a scooter question, and I can't call him up to ask.
Rispondi