Pivello

Presentazione nuovi utenti / Introduction new members
Rispondi
rickgush
Apista aspirante

Pivello

Messaggio da rickgush »

Ciao a Tutti,

Sono Rick, Californiano, in Rapallo per alcuni anni. Non potevo resistere più e ho deciso che quest'anno devo comprare e restaurare un vecchio Ape. C'é l'ho un appuntamento di vedere il primo candidato domani. Non ho mai visto un veicolo con tre ruote prime di arrivare qui in Italia. Che ridicolo ma irresistibile spettacolo! Ho restaurato un Vespa PX125 alcuni anni fa, e non vedo l'ora di cominciare lavoro su un nuovo progetto. C'é l'ho un bel garage vuoto che sta aspettando l'ape.

Se c'e qualcuno qui che vuole aiuto col inglese, sono disponibile. Se c'era un restaurista disponibile per chat sul Skype ogni tanto sarebbe bello.

Grazie,
-Rick
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Ape owned: MPR2
Contatta:

Re: Pivello

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

Depending on what model Ape you buy there are manuals free to download on my website as well as photo files of the different models. Here you will find help from those who have similar models of Ape. $+; - Ken

A seconda di cosa si acquista Ape modello ci sono manuali da scaricare gratuitamente sul mio sito così come i file di foto dei vari modelli. Qui troverete l'aiuto di coloro che hanno modelli simili di Ape.
Photo1489.jpg
we buy/restore/sell P501 and P601s and parts/manuals/handbooks
http://www.kjjohnson.ca/
olandese volante
Apista veterano
Apista veterano
Ape owned: AC3

Messaggio da olandese volante »

i can be found on skype but on the nothern european time frame ........
but i only tell you about "real api" ( an ape is a vespa with chain drive, the rest is modernism :)
anyway as ken already indicated : tell us what you want before you buy .
language here is no problem ken has a great translator, pretty costly........... but free for him
F<)
olandese volante
Apista veterano
Apista veterano

how the hell did a greenhorn like you end up in rapallo and here?
rickgush
Apista aspirante

Messaggio da rickgush »

kjjohnson ha scritto:Depending on what model Ape you buy there are manuals free to download on my website as well as photo files of the different models. Here you will find help from those who have similar models of Ape. $+; - Ken

A seconda di cosa si acquista Ape modello ci sono manuali da scaricare gratuitamente sul mio sito così come i file di foto dei vari modelli. Qui troverete l'aiuto di coloro che hanno modelli simili di Ape.
Photo1489.jpg

Thanks Ken. I haven't figured out how a guy in Canada ends up being the ranking P501 expert, but knowing you exist was one of the reasons I felt comfortable about jumping into my own project. My Italian's okay, but when things get dificult, I like to return to English. Obviously, please let me know if there's things I could do for you here in Italy.
rickgush
Apista aspirante

Messaggio da rickgush »

olandese volante ha scritto:how the hell did a greenhorn like you end up in rapallo and here?
Good Morning Flying Dutchman,

This afternoon I'm looking at a 501 from 1988, price 500 euros, runs, with current papers. In general I thought the Ape 50's, even with the engines goosed up to 100 or even 130cc, would be too weak to haul my 100 kilo butt up the hill to my friend's house in San Lorenzo. So, I figured a 187cc engine would be better for me. I also am wide, and the inside of a small Ape50 is a bit cramped if I want to take my wife to the beach with me. I also like the style of the rounded cab of the 501's. I find a lot of the 1984-88 model for sale for very low prices, like 500 to 1,000 euros, while the older 1960 1and 1970 models are always around 2,000 euros more. I'm not yet good enough that I want to start with a 3,000 vehicle. I like starting with something inexpensive,so I can spend those extra thousands on new parts.

I write computer games for a living, and some fans with a dev studio in Rapallo asked if I would come work with them. I accepted the offer of an interview, thinking I'd get a free vacation in Italy out of the deal. I fell in love with Italy, moved over two months later and I've been here ever since.

I've got a nice project with a Dutch publisher at the moment and will likely need to visit Amsterdam every once in a while. Maybe sometime I could come see your Ape. If that's yours in the photo,it looks way cool.
olandese volante
Apista veterano
Apista veterano

the first thing to do is check out what you really want , in your case its a two person ape which means you will have to look for a "big" ape .
if you like the old model look better , you are in the aerea where a lot of them can be found .
the old model to me means model A/B or C when you have to decide between ac4 or ad1 take the ad1.
personally i would go for an ac ...in the end its the best value for money .
a restoration object should be findable at 1000-1200 .
i live very close to amsterdam so when you want to have a look thats easy.
doing one up and then another is unadvisable unless you plan to collect api.
when you go for the 501 stuff ask ken what the best choices are.
the main problem in italy is that you pay ( a lot) for having the documents in your name ...
rickgush
Apista aspirante

Messaggio da rickgush »

olandese volante ha scritto:the first thing to do is check out what you really want , in your case its a two person ape which means you will have to look for a "big" ape .
if you like the old model look better , you are in the aerea where a lot of them can be found .
the old model to me means model A/B or C when you have to decide between ac4 or ad1 take the ad1.
the main problem in italy is that you pay ( a lot) for having the documents in your name ...

From an aesthetic standpoint, I too very much like the older models, and I agree, the Ac4 would be my preference. Having the headlight mounted on the movable wheel fender doesn't seem perfect.
But, when I say "restore" Imean to say that I want to take an old ape and fix up all themechanical parts so that it runs perfectly. I'm going to use the ape to haul cement and manure and I don't really care if it's going to win beauty prizes. In fact, because I know the vehicle is going to get all scratched up during my activities, I don't want to spend an inappropriate amount of time worrying about the finish. I'll fight rust wherever it appears, but not for glamor's sake.
It's odd how difficult I've found it to read basic information about these vehicles. What is the chain driven differentiation? Were those by chance the equivilant to the Vespas without batteries? Are there Ape without a battery?
So, my plan, barring your dissuading me, is to look for a battered but sound 501, but not a cool Ac4. Maybe in a few years, if business continues to go well, perhaps I'll consider taking the jump back to an Ac4 to replace my scooter for beach cruising with the wife. Nontheless, I'll take you comments in mind and go now to look and see what Ac4's might be for sale here at the moment.
rickgush
Apista aspirante

Messaggio da rickgush »

rickgush ha scritto:
olandese volante ha scritto:the first thing to do is check out what you really want , in your case its a two person ape which means you will have to look for a "big" ape .

From an aesthetic standpoint, I too very much like the older models, and I agree, the Ac4 would be my preference. Having the headlight mounted on the movable wheel fender doesn't seem perfect.
But, when I say "restore" Imean to say that I want to take an old ape and fix up all themechanical parts so that it runs perfectly. I'm going to use the ape to haul cement and manure and I don't really care if it's going to win beauty prizes. In fact, because I know the vehicle is going to get all scratched up during my activities, I don't want to spend an inappropriate amount of time worrying about the finish. I'll fight rust wherever it appears, but not for glamor's sake.
It's odd how difficult I've found it to read basic information about these vehicles. What is the chain driven differentiation? Were those by chance the equivilant to the Vespas without batteries? Are there Ape without a battery?
So, my plan, barring your dissuading me, is to look for a battered but sound 501, but not a cool Ac4. Maybe in a few years, if business continues to go well, perhaps I'll consider taking the jump back to an Ac4 to replace my scooter for beach cruising with the wife. Nontheless, I'll take you comments in mind and go now to look and see what Ac4's might be for sale here at the moment.
Uh, do I have the Ac4 and the Ad1 mixed up? Can both of those models have the headlight on the wheel? (faro basso?)
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Contatta:

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

The very first thing you do is lift the floor mat and see if the floor is rusted through along the leading edge, especially under the brake pump and under the battery. A P501 with a sound body should be #1 on the list. Steering and brakes are #2 and the engine performance is #3. A simple test is to spin the fan on the motor with your finger (in neutral and engine hot is best) - this will tell you about compression. Good quality photos will make it easier to render an opinion on what you're considering purchasing. The manuals and restoration files on my website will fill in what you need to know. Get one with fold down side panels on the 'pianale', they're very handy. - Ken

La prima cosa che devi fare è sollevare il tappetino e vedere se il pavimento è arrugginito attraverso lungo il bordo d'attacco, in particolare sotto la pompa freno e sotto la batteria. Un P501 con un corpo sano dovrebbe essere # 1 sulla lista. Sterzo e freni sono # 2 e le prestazioni del motore è # 3. Un semplice test è quello di girare la ventola del motore con il dito (in folle e il motore caldo è meglio) - questo vi dirà sulla compressione. Foto di buona qualità sarà più facile per rendere un parere su ciò che si sta valutando l'acquisto. I manuali ei file di ripristino sul mio sito si riempirà in quello che è necessario sapere. Prendi uno con piega verso il basso i pannelli laterali del 'pianale', sono molto a portata di mano. - Ken
DSC01891.JPG
olandese volante
Apista veterano
Apista veterano

the ac 4 is the last one with the headlight on the fender , faro basso .
the ad 1 is the first without .
the ad1 is the "modern" chain drive ape with a bigger engine and more load capacity .
its the one that gave birth to this site as our webmaster has one .
the headlight on the fender is great , citroen made this system of moving lights on the id/ds.
i really hope you inform yourself better on the docs , the ape 50 is perfect for work and hauls everything
cost also much less as its a moped so no expensive document transfer.
i pulled out pedalos from the lake filled with water with an ape 50 ....well 130 ....
for cruising with the wife look for a calessino from the b range .
for hauling manure i would get a daihatsu hijet tipper ...in italy sold as piaggio porter ribaltabile.
the ape is not really cheap as a work horse .
it was made for people without car license and when cars were expensive ............now api cost and cars are cheap .
spending 500 on the ape 500 on the documents and then 500 on parts..just to haul some manure..........
olandese volante
Apista veterano
Apista veterano

look around in cuneo and places like that cuneo has a beautiful square ........have a drink there and and talk to some people .
i do not have the contact details anymore of the guy that sold me the ac3 engine .
somewhere near ventimiglia there was a big seller as well .............
rickgush
Apista aspirante

Messaggio da rickgush »

olandese volante ha scritto:look around in cuneo and places like that cuneo has a beautiful square ........have a drink there and and talk to some people .
i do not have the contact details anymore of the guy that sold me the ac3 engine .
somewhere near ventimiglia there was a big seller as well .............
Howdy Dutchman,

Cool. Thanks for the all the different advice. I didn't buy the Ape 501 I saw today, and will continue looking for the right vehicle. I'm not so far from either Cuneo or Ventimiglia, so I'll see what I can dig up around there. I'm pretty good at both drinking and talking to folks.

-Rick
rickgush
Apista aspirante

Messaggio da rickgush »

kjjohnson ha scritto:The very first thing you do is lift the floor mat and see if the floor is rusted through along the leading edge, especially under the brake pump and under the battery. A P501 with a sound body should be #1 on the list. Steering and brakes are #2 and the engine performance is #3. A simple test is to spin the fan on the motor with your finger (in neutral and engine hot is best) - this will tell you about compression. Good quality photos will make it easier to render an opinion on what you're considering purchasing. The manuals and restoration files on my website will fill in what you need to know. Get one with fold down side panels on the 'pianale', they're very handy. - Ken

La prima cosa che devi fare è sollevare il tappetino e vedere se il pavimento è arrugginito attraverso lungo il bordo d'attacco, in particolare sotto la pompa freno e sotto la batteria. Un P501 con un corpo sano dovrebbe essere # 1 sulla lista. Sterzo e freni sono # 2 e le prestazioni del motore è # 3. Un semplice test è quello di girare la ventola del motore con il dito (in folle e il motore caldo è meglio) - questo vi dirà sulla compressione. Foto di buona qualità sarà più facile per rendere un parere su ciò che si sta valutando l'acquisto. I manuali ei file di ripristino sul mio sito si riempirà in quello che è necessario sapere. Prendi uno con piega verso il basso i pannelli laterali del 'pianale', sono molto a portata di mano. - Ken
DSC01891.JPG
Okay, will do the rust check first. I'm not quite sure how to test steering. Is there an effective visual check for either brakes or steering that doesn't require any dismantling? I didn't photo the Ape I looked at today, but will take phots from now on. Thanks for the advice!
kjjohnson
1° Apista restauratore
1° Apista restauratore
Contatta:

Messaggio da kjjohnson »

If you drive the P501 you can test the brakes but not be able to see how badly worn the brake shoes are. Look for leaks from the brake cylinders. If you drive it in circles, tight circles both left and right you can test the steering then drive it over bumps or potholes and listen for clunking from the front end. Look at nothing without a camera. Take too many photos, you can always choose which ones to post. Impossible to see from this far away, good quality photos are the best. Note how many km's on the odometer and don't forget to try the handbrake. Ask the seller if there are any manuals that come with the Ape. A P601 is available with a 'tipper' for unloading your manure. Get the owner to 'blip' the throttle and see if the headlight brightens, this will tell you the dynastarter is working then test all the lights and turn signals and brake lights. - Ken

Se si guida il P501 è possibile testare i freni, ma non essere in grado di vedere come molto danneggiate le ganasce dei freni sono. Non vi siano perdite dai cilindri dei freni. Se si guida in cerchi, cerchi stretti sia a destra ea sinistra è possibile verificare lo sterzo poi guidare su dossi o buche e ascoltare clunking dal front-end. Guarda davanti a nulla senza una macchina fotografica. Prendere troppe foto, si può sempre scegliere quelli da pubblicare. Impossibile da vedere da questo lontano, foto di buona qualità sono i migliori. Nota: il numero di km in programma il contachilometri e non dimenticate di provare il freno a mano. Chiedete al venditore se ci sono manuali che vengono con l'Ape. Il P601 è disponibile con un 'ribaltabile' per lo scarico il vostro letame. Prendi il proprietario di 'blip' l'acceleratore e vedere se il faro illumina, questo vi dirà il dynastarter funziona quindi verificare tutte le luci e indicatori di direzione e luci di stop. - Ken

You must mutter to yourself the entire time, shaking your head. You must convince the seller to give you a reasonable deal.
This one is close to you, look under the floor mat! - Ken - http://www.autobelle.it/annunci/dettid.php?gb_id=142493 -
Rispondi